John The Baptist’s Message to the Brood of Vipers in Mt 3:7-10 and Lk 3:7-14.
John’s Message has two parts
- God’s Judgment and the need for Repentance.
- Preaching about the Coming One and the greater baptism that comes with Him.
Summary of John’s Message:
- Repentance involves
– Confession of sins,
– sorrow over sins,
– and conversion or turning from sin.
There are Three Aspects of John’s Message to the Jews
- John’s message involved a prophetic warning of eschatological judgment
- The fruit of repentance should manifest itself ethically in charity, honesty, and contentment
- John’s message dealt with the coming messiah
Five Ways to Apply John’s Message to Our Lives
- We see that true teaching is not afraid to condemn
- We see that our teaching should involve the Holy Spirit
- We see that true teaching includes pointing people to Jesus
- True teaching includes the safety of every believer
- True teaching includes a warning against Hell