John’s Description of Christ
Matthew 3:11-12, Mark 1:7-8, and Luke 3:15-18
Warning of the Kingdom of Heaven
- The warning was telling them that Salvation is here. The savior king is coming and he will transform their hearts and purify their lives.
- The warning is that judgment is near. The righteous judge is close, his wrath is imminent, and his punishment is eternal.
What John Knew About the Gospel
- It is good news when someone wakes you up and says, “Quick the hotel is on fire, but there is still time. I will show you how to get out.” The gospel must always contain a warning of God’s wrath: “The chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.“
- And what tremendously good news it is that the way to be forgiven our sin and escape God’s wrath is just to rest in his free mercy.
- And notice that it is good news to be exhorted to live a certain way.
Why is it Good News to be Told How to Live?
- There is a kind of fruit that testifies to the health of a tree.
- The way of obedience is the way of joy.