Michael York: Shepherding the Shepherd 2013 – Plenary 4
Michael York is pastor of Durbin Memorial Baptist Church in Lexington. He has a master’s degree from Southern Seminary and completed his undergraduate work at Boyce College. York spoke on “What Does it Cost a Man to Gain the World and Lose His Home: Family and Ministry Lessons from the Life of Moses,” and “The Parsonage Family: the Importance of the Pastor’s Family in Ministry.” As the son and grandson of pastors, York has a wealth of personal experience to draw from.
The audio of the message can be found here.
WHAT DOES IT COST A MAN TO GAIN THE WORLD AND LOSE HIS HOME:LESSONS FROM THE LIFE OF MOSES.
Notes & Quotes
 Moses went back to Jethro his father-in-law and said to him, “Please let me go back to my brothers in Egypt to see whether they are still alive.” And Jethro said to Moses, “Go in peace.”  And the LORD said to Moses in Midian, “Go back to Egypt, for all the men who were seeking your life are dead.”  So Moses took his wife and his sons and had them ride on a donkey, and went back to the land of Egypt. And Moses took the staff of God in his hand.
 And the LORD said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do before Pharaoh all the miracles that I have put in your power. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.  Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the LORD, Israel is my firstborn son,  and I say to you, “Let my son go that he may serve me.” If you refuse to let him go, behold, I will kill your firstborn son.’”
 At a lodging place on the way the LORD met him and sought to put him to death.  Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’ feet with it and said, “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!”  So he let him alone. It was then that she said, “A bridegroom of blood,” because of the circumcision.
(Exodus 4:18-26 ESV)
What We Know:
Zipporah knew Moses was in danger.
1.) When god Calls us, He calls all of us.
– If God calls you, He calls your family.
2.) Leaders and their families are held to a higher standard.
– Although we are no better than anyone else, we are called to a different standard.
– Gen. 17
– Physical heritage is not enough
– Moses is marring the picture of the Gospel that God is trying to create.
– A poor marriage and a poor family paints a bad picture of the Gospel.
3.) We are to picture our Father’s Holiness.
– The greatest danger to the KBC is not the world, or Satan, but KBC pastors looking right, but not righteous.
– The Greatest Danger is counterfeit Pastors, Fathers, Husbands.
– Am I comparing myself to my father’s holiness or comparing it to my neighbors.
– Private Holiness is more important than public appearance.
– Our kids learn Holiness from us, our congregations learn Holiness from us.